We are on the last room in the clutter-free series! Read on to find out how to have a clutter-free living room quickly.
*Post may contain affiliate links. It’s free for you to click the links, however, if you choose to make a purchase I will get compensated. To learn more click here. Thank you for supporting my blog and my family!
This weekend we will tackle the living room clutter and have a clutter-free living room by Monday! We have worked our way through the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen and this weekend we will work on having a clutter-free living room.
The living room ends up collecting a lot of unnecessary items like pet toys, kid’s toys, papers, extra magazines and books. We need a place we can kick our feet up and relax and having a room full of clutter is overwhelming, not relaxing.
Living rooms have many functions, which can cause items to clutter up fast. Here is where we entertain, relax, play, and even eat and exercise for some people. No wonder the living room ends up in piles of clutter!
If you missed the rest of the series, click the links below:
How to have a clutter-free living room quickly
Grab your free clutter-free living room checklist here!
- Start by looking around the room for any obvious trash and throw it away
- Look around the room again for clutter items that you know you no longer want. Place these items in a donate box.
- Look around the room one final time for items you want to keep, but don’t belong in that room; take them and put them where they belong before you move on.
Drawers & End Tables
- Take everything out of any drawers you have in the living room
- Throw away any trash, old papers, etc.
- Go through magazines and throw old ones out
- Go through CD’s, DVD’s, and video games. Donate or sell older ones that you no longer want (You can sell games, DVD’s, CD’s, and books on Decluttr.com for some side cash!)
- Have television remotes laying around that went to a TV that quit working years ago? Throw them away. Same thing with old video game controllers.
- Place magazines neatly in a basket and hide away under the end table
- Place video game controllers and accessories in a basket
- Pile all the books in the middle of the living room floor
- Wipe the shelves off
- Sort through all the books and sort into 3 piles: donate, keep, trash
- For every book you keep, donate one
- Wipe the books off as you place them back on the shelf
Kid and Pet Clutter
- Have a bin for pet toys
- Use separate bins to keep school photos, art and awards in
- Storage trunks make a good hiding place for kid’s toys and they function well as an end table or footstool!
- If the kids are old enough, get them involved. Have them take their toys to their rooms and put them away
Living Room Organization Hacks
- Trunks and baskets are great at hiding clutter
- Use baskets for magazines, pet toys, and lose papers
- Maximize a small space by putting a mirror opposite the view you want to reflect. Placing a mirror opposite a window will add natural light to a small space.
Don’t forget to grab your FREE clutter-free living room checklist! Check off the list as you go and have a clutter-free living room this weekend!