How To Clean Up Fast For Company
Is your house a mess and you’re expecting company? Follow these tips on how to clean up fast for company!
*Post contains affiliate links. It’s free for you to click the links, however, if you choose to make a purchase I will get compensated. To learn more click here. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Thanksgiving for us here in America is next week. Some of us are hosting family and friends in our home for the big day. There’s so much to do with the cleaning and the cooking! How will you ever have time to get it all done?
Creating a clean and organized space will leave your guests feeling happy and comfortable. Make your home feel warm and inviting for the holidays with these easy tips on how to clean up fast for company.
Looking for more cleaning inspiration?
Cleaning Your Mattress the Right Way
Deep Clean Your Master Bedroom
Clean Your Bedroom in just 15 Minutes
Natural Cleaning Supplies with Recipes
How to Make Money Cleaning Your Home
How to clean up fast for company
I prefer to start in the bathroom because it’s probably the messiest and most disgusting room in the house and I want to get that over and done with.
- Mirrors – shine the mirrors with some vinegar and newspaper or coffee filters for a streak-free shine. Or you can use an E-Cloth, which I love!
- Sink and vanity – Wipe down the sink and vanity with an all-purpose cleaner and microfiber cloth. You can see how I make my own all-purpose cleaner here.
- Medicine cabinet – Wipe off the shelves and organize medicines. Go ahead and get rid of any expired medications while you’re in there.
- Tub and shower – Spray the tub and shower with the all-purpose cleaner, then wipe clean.
- Toilet – Put some cleaner in the bowl and let it sit and do its magic while you wipe off the outside of the toilet. Then scrub the bowl and flush!
- Floor – Sweep the floor really well and mop on your way out.
This is the room everyone will be gathering after dinner to talk about how amazing your dinner was. Or if you’re family is like mine, where the Black Friday ads will be spread out all over while the women make their lists.
- Dust surfaces – Dust end tables, coffee tables, bookshelves, the TV console all with a microfiber cloth. Give your TV a good clean, too. Even if it’s not on, any spots will show. (The E-cloth works great on TV screens, too!)
- Throw blankets – Toss any throw blankets in the washer. If you have machine-washable pillowcases, throw them in the washer, too.
- Windows – Clean the windows using the same method as the mirrors, or use the E-cloth here, too. I swear that thing is great for every room!
- Vacuum – Vacuum carpets and/or rugs, then give your curtains, couches, and chairs a quick vacuum. See how I make my own carpet freshener here.
This room is where all that cooking for the big day will happen so it needs to be cleaned in order to mess it all up again. Don’t you just love how that happens?
- Cabinets and countertops – Start by wiping off the cabinets and countertops. If you have wood cabinets, Murphy Oil Soap works great. Just dilute about half a cup of soap in a gallon of warm water, dip a sponge in the mixture and wipe clean. Focus on scrubbing around the knobs where the most grease build-up would be.
- Stovetop spills – Wipe the stove clean with a sponge, focusing on spills and around the burners. If the spill is stubborn and doesn’t want to come up, squeeze a sponge with soapy water in it over the spill and let it sit a few minutes.
- Microwave – Freshen up the inside of the microwave with lemons! Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a bowl of water. Add some lemon rinds to the bowl and microwave four minutes. Wipe the inside clean. (Read more on what else you can do with lemons here.)
- Refrigerator – Wipe down the shelves inside the refrigerator and clean off any sticky residue from condiment bottles and jars. Wipe off the door shelves, as well. If you have a stainless steel refrigerator, there’s an E-cloth for stainless steel appliances, too!
- Coffee Pot – Clean your coffee pot with vinegar to make your coffee taste great again! Run a cycle of white vinegar through the coffee pot, then run it for a few cycles with just water. Keep running it with water until the vinegar smell is gone. (See more great tips on using vinegar here.)
- Floors – Sweep and mop the floors before moving on to the next room.
Everyone gathers in the dining room to give thanks and eat all of that delicious Thanksgiving food.
- Dust – Wipe off all surfaces including the table and chairs. Toss any table cloths or napkins in the wash.
- Vacuum – Vacuum the carpet and/or rugs. Vacuum the curtains and chairs as well.
- Set the table – Go ahead and set the table to save on time and cut down on stress.
Take a Break!
Now that all the cleaning is done and your home is nice and clean and ready for the guests to arrive, take a break. Grab a book and a mug of hot chocolate and just relax for a while. You deserve it after all that cleaning!
How to clean up fast the day of
Now that you don’t have all that extra cleaning to do, you can just give everything a quick wipe down. Vacuum carpets in the morning and wipe down bathroom sinks and mirrors.
Have your home smelling inviting and clean by putting on a simmer pot on the stove. Add some apple and orange peels with cinnamon sticks to a pot of water and set it to simmer on the stove. For more natural ways to make your home smell amazing, click here.
Will you be entertaining family and friends this year or will you be visiting? Are there any tips you would like to add to my list of how to clean up fast for company?
This is the E-Cloth that I have and love! If you would like to learn more about them and how they work, click here.
If you’re looking for more in-depth tips on how to have a clutter-free home quickly, check out the article below. It leads you to posts on having a clutter-free home room by room.
67 thoughts on “How To Clean Up Fast For Company”
I’m cleaning up all this weekend. Looking forward to family and friends
That’s wonderful! I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends! 🙂
I always remember one thing that my mother always told me after I got married, use products that smell good to clean with, you’ll like cleaning more, my favorite scent for cleaning has always been lemon. I love the photos you used here, looks like the 50’s but I could be wrong. I also believe that clean in advance when you can so you have the house clean and on the day of, you can just give a light go over. Thanks Michelle
Lemon scented products are my favorite too! ?
Yes, isn’t it the best? I love the scent of citrus fruit, I like grapefruit hand wash lotion and body wash. 🙂
Yes I used to have grapefruit body wash, very good!
That is great advice from your mother. I love using lemon, too, because it smells so clean. It’s such a happy scent! You’re right – the pictures are from the 50’s. 🙂 Thank you so much for sharing!
Find a closet and start tossing lol!! ?♂️
LOL!! Great idea! But there’s always that one nosy family member! 😀
That’s true…. but hopefully teaches them not to be nosy lol!
??? I like the way you think!
I am done during our grand Deepawali festival cleaning.It went on for 10 days…too tiring but just can’t avoid.I guess the festival spirit keeps motivating.
That’s great!! I’m sure you are exhausted from 10 days worth. Just one day wears me out. 😀
Awesome tips, Michelle!! I always forget our microwave and that’s just when someone needs to use it to heat up a dish they brought!!? Was hoping you had some advice on what to do with a dump truck load of Christmas decorations that are sitting in the middle of my living room!! ?? oh well I guess I’ll just keep plugging away at it!! Have a great weekend!!
Thank you so much! The microwave is so easy to look over. I do the same thing! 😀 As for all of those Christmas decorations – put on a Christmas movie and go through those decorations. If you’re not done when the movie is over, the rest go to Goodwill. LOL!!
Loved the tips and the women looked pristine while cleaning.
Thank you so much! Don’t they? I always look like a hot mess when I’m cleaning. 😀
Me too, lol
I love how it makes you do things.. You want to get up and clean your house with the motivation. Any type of citrus smell makes me really enjoy the house. Love the pictures you used as well. Your family seems like us.. My husband will be crazy for those ads…
Me, too! It’s amazing how motivating citrus smells can be. Lemon always lifts my mood and gets me motivated. And when I use it to clean with my house smells so clean! Thank you! I think we have so much in common! 🙂
Haha I do this all the time! These are great tips, though, there are definitely a few I’m going to try. Perfect for the holidays <3
Thank you so much! Have fun cleaning! If that’s possible. haha!! 😀
Great tips, Michelle. So funny what you said about your Thanksgiving Black Friday shopping at the kitchen table. I can relate with all these vintage photos–except for the last one–I’d have a smart phone and not a book in my hand.
Thank you! My favorite Thanksgiving tradition is pulling out the ads after we eat. Someone (usually my mom) always says, “Grab your papers!” haha
Wow. I cleaned houses for 17 years, so my favorite way to get it done now, is to say YES to the relatives who live in the next state over. Of course the kitchen counters, the toilet and the kitchen sink, get cleaned whether they need it or not. LOL. Happy Thanksgiving!
That’s a great idea! I’d much rather visit than host so I don’t have all that cleaning to do. I’m sure you’re super tired of cleaning by now! 😀 Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving to you as well!
Thanks, Michelle! Great tips!
Thank you so much!!
An excellent share!
Thank you so much!
Great cleaning tips! I just finished cleaning house, and I’m now taking your ”Take A Break” tip ?
Thank you! Take a long break. You deserve it! 🙂
This doesn’t seem nearly quick enough for me!
Haha! As my friend said, just toss it all in the closet! 😀
This is great advice, even when company isn’t coming over. It’s next to impossible keeping the house clean with a toddler running rampant. I’m still working on cracking the code. I love the scent of citrus fruit, whether it’s lemons, oranges, grapefruit etc.
Thank you so much! I completely understand that. Now my daughter is almost a teen and it’s still hard to keep up with her mess! 😀 I love citrus scents, too. They’re such happy and clean scents!
How many kids do you have? I can’t imagine what my 3 year old will be like when she’s a tween. ?
I have 2 grown boys who no longer live at home and a tween daughter. At least it’s a little quieter with just the girl in the house. ??
Oh my gosh I loveeee the vintage images you chose for this blog post Michelle!
Thank you! I thought they were perfect for cleaning photos! I sure wasn’t going to use photos of myself cleaning because I look like a hot mess!
Helpful tips and so thoroughly listed out!. Thanks for sharing ma’am.
P.S: Hope you are making progress with the renovation and almost done?. Well done to you and your hubby.
Thank you so much!
We are taking a break on the renovation until after the holidays and then we’ll be working on the inside hopefully. Thank you for asking! 🙂
You are welcome ma’am.
Okay, that is great. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. ?
I love the microwave tip with the use of lemons! Lemons really are a wonderful fruit – they seem to clean everything and are the key to some weight loss theories! xxx
Thank you! I agree! They are wonderful for some many reasons. I’ve seen a few articles about lemons and weight loss. ?
I will be using these tips tomorrow. Hosting Thanksgiving dinner at my house Tuesday. Thanks.
I’m glad I could help! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner!
I’m taking two days to do this since I will have a house full for Thanksgiving! Great tips Michelle!
What fun!! Happy cleaning! 😀 I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
You too Michelle!
I love lemon scented products to do my cleaning. I love when my house smells so good?. I always start from the bathroom too?. Thanks for sharing these tips?
Me, too! I think lemon scents just make things smell cleaner. Thank you for reading! 😀
I need to look into this e cloth. It sounds like it’s made of miracles and magic.
It pretty much is. I was reading something the other day where a lady uses hers to clean her indoor grill, too. I had no idea! So now I need more. 😀
Great tips for fast cleaning.Thanks a lot for sharing.
Thank you so much! I’m glad you found them helpful.
Most welcome madam.??
Absolutely love these ideas Michelle!
I guess one of the perks of being in the middle of a home renovation is that we don’t have any guests over here, LOL. 🙂 That’s terrible, isn’t it? Hehe.
That e-cloth is pretty neat! We have something similar but I don’t think it’s nearly as good. Might have to look into that one a bit more. You use it for a lot of cleaning projects around the home, huh?
You’ve got the gift of hospitality my friend. I would bet your guests always feel perfectly at home and well loved. ?
Thank you so much, Holly! I can agree that I am thankful for that, even if it does sound bad. LOL!!!
Yes! I do love my e-cloth. I had no idea it could be used for so many different things! I looked online and there’s different types, too, so I put on for cleaning stainless steel on my Christmas list this year. Hopefully it’s just as good. 🙂
Aww..thank you! You’re so sweet! 🙂 xoxox
No more company for a while, I guess, but cleaning tips are needed more than ever!
That’s true. Not with everyone in quarantine. Hope you’re doing well!