House & Home Organizing

How to Have a Clutter-Free Bedroom Quickly

Having a messy bedroom full of clutter can be so overwhelming. It can kill a peaceful mood and sap your energy. The decluttering process does not have to be as overwhelming as the mess. Here is how to have a clutter-free bedroom quickly.

How to Have a Clutter-Free Bedroom Quickly

I am a member of the VigLink affiliate program and a rep for Elevated Faith. I might receive a teeny tiny portion of a sale if a link is an affiliate product. Clicking on the links cost you nothing, yet that small click helps support my blog and my family. I appreciate your support so much! See disclosure here.

This month we are going to go through our homes and clear the clutter room by room. Each week I will give you a room to declutter and a free printable checklist. At the end you’ll have some homework. I know, I know. Yuck! But it’s fun and rewarding homework. I promise!!

Grab your free checklist here!

Let’s Start with the Bedroom

Usually the bedroom is the last place we organize because it’s the room we don’t invite our guests into. We end up dumping everything in the bedroom when guests come over unannounced. We have the “I’ll put it away later” mindset, and who knows when later is. Having a clutter-free bedroom creates a calm environment, which allows for a more restful sleep.

To keep clutter out of the bedroom, you have to make the decision that junk from other rooms will not be allowed. The bedroom is no place for papers or bags of items that need to be donated. (I’m really bad about that!)

Keeping the items that do belong in your bedroom organized and put away is another essential component. You need to have an actual place to put each item. A good example is bedside tables with drawers where you can store your journal, books, cell phone, and similar items.

Having a clutter-free bedroom does not have to be a long overwhelming process. You can probably do this in a day or a weekend depending on how big your room is and how much clutter you have. Let’s get started on how to have a clutter-free bedroom quickly.

How to have a clutter-free bedroom quickly

Grab your free check off list here!

Bedside Tables

• Remove magazines, cups, electronics, and other random objects
  • Put things you want to keep elsewhere, such as in the bedside table drawer
  • Only allow a few objects on the table top, such as the book you are reading, a vase of flowers, and a favorite photo
  • Toss any trash, donate anything you no longer use

Shoe Pile

• Sort through your shoe pile, making 3 stacks: trash, donate, keep
  • Throw away any shoes that are worn completely out
  • Donate those you haven’t worn in a year and never plan to wear
  • I put my shoes in shoe boxes and hide them under my bed. An over the door shoe rack is a good idea, too.

Closet

• Purge: empty everything out of the closet and sort into 3 piles: donate, keep, and trash
  • Donate anything you haven’t worn in a year
  • Toss anything that has holes or is damaged beyond repair and cannot be donated
  • If you don’t love it, wear it, or look good in it, get rid of it!
  • Replace everything with an ordered system: something you can easily maintain on a daily basis. This can be by color, by season, by items, etc. For example, if you order the clothes by item, put all jeans together, all sweaters together, all handbags together, and so on.
How to have a clutter-free bedroom quickly
via Pinterest

See also: What Actually Happens to the Clothes I Donate?

Dresser Drawers

• Clear all the clutter off the top of your dresser
  • Throw away any trash, take anything that doesn’t belong out of the room; donate unused items
  • Only keep a small amount of items on your dresser, such as a tray with a vase of flowers, a picture frame, and a small candle
  • Purge your drawers just like your closet
  • Take everything out and sort into the same 3 piles
  • Donate anything you haven’t worn in a year
  • Throw those holey socks away!
  • Line your drawers with some pretty contact paper
  • Put everything back in your drawer in an order. I roll up my leggings and t-shirts instead of folding and stacking them. This way I can see them all and easily access the ones I want right away.

Keep your drawers smelling fresh with a DIY lavender-scented sachet. I show you how to make one here.

Bed

• Make your bed every day!
  • Do not toss dirty laundry on your bed and leave it until bedtime

Easy Bedroom Organizing Hacks

• Hang purses from shower hooks in your closet
  • Invest in matching hangers (I love my teal hangers!)
  • Hang a pegboard on the back of your closet door for jewelry
  • Use baskets on the top shelf in your closet to hide items
  • Use shower hooks on a hanger to hang your tank tops
  • Have a laundry basket and use it! Don’t toss dirty clothes around the room

Now you have no excuse to have a bedroom full of clutter. With these easy tips you can have a clutter-free bedroom quickly! Depending on the size of your bedroom and the amount of clutter you have, it should take you a day or a weekend to get your bedroom in order. When you walk into your bedroom you should feel calm and peaceful, not overwhelmed.

Take the time every day to do the little things like throwing the trash away and placing your dirty clothes into the hamper as soon as you take them off. It is not that difficult to have a clean and organized bedroom and the results of that process will really pay off!

How to have a clutter-free bedroom quickly

Homework

That’s right! I’m giving you homework! This weekend I want you to check off at least half of those items if not all. Grab your check off list here. (You can do it!) Come back here and tell me how clutter-free your bedroom is and if you love your new bedroom!

Happy decluttering!

Michelle

Michelle is a stay-at-home homeschool mom who loves DIYs and living a frugal lifestyle.

You may also like...

73 Comments

1. Ohhhh! I love this!

Thank you!

2. What an excellent tips to organize the bedroom, well written Michelle❤

Thank you so much!

1. You are welcome❤

3. Awesome decluttering tips, Michelle! Your bedroom décor is my absolute favorite color 🙂

1. Michelle says:

Thank you! I’ve been reading that blue is the color of the year for bedrooms. 😀

4. Good advice! God bless!

1. Michelle says:

Thank you! Have a blessed weekend!

5. Love this! It’s so important to declutter!

1. Michelle says:

Yes it is! Clutter drives me crazy! 🙂 Thank you!

6. looks great 😉

Thank you! 🙂

7. Beautiful Michelle, this is wonderful!!

Thank you!

8. My housekeeping fantasy is one of those machines from “The Cat in the Hat.” You know, the one that puts everything right again? Have a blessed weekend, Michelle. 🙂

1. Michelle says:

That would be soooo awesome!!! 😀 Thank you and the same to you!

9. Great post Michelle! Who doesn’t love a good declutter?? 😊

Right?! Clutter drives me insane! 😀

10. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

This is very descriptive and useful! But I confess that upon reading the title of the blog, I just knew you were going to say to back up a dumpster to your bedroom window and start chunking!

Haha!! That would be so much easier!! And thank you! 🙂

1. The Eclectic Contrarian says:

You’re welcome!

11. I love organization! This is a great post!

Thank you so much!

12. I agree with you Michelle, we do pile up everything in the bedroom. My bedroom is looking really bad right now. As I am putting everything in my bedroom while cleaning the rest of the house. Thank you for the checklist as well. Your tips are very practical

1. Michelle says:

Thank you so much! I completely understand how it is when you’re trying to remodel. It seems the bedroom is where everything goes! 😀

Thanks!

1. Truly beautiful words. Thank you.❤

13. My bedroom looks fine, but my closet needs a lot of work! Tomorrow it’s supposed to rain all day, so you’ve inspired me to tackle my messy closet!
    Jenna

That’s great!! Happy decluttering! 😀

14. Sharon Lopez says:

Very useful post. Since I’m a busy working woman trying to divide time between work and blogging, I would usually run out of time doing the bed and other household stuff. thank you for sharing this timely and purposeful article.

1. Michelle says:

Thank you! I know how it is! I’m a homeschool mom so time seems to run out fast. Just doing a little every day helps. 😀

15. Michelle, you have some wonderful tips. Now I just to convince my better half to de-clutter some of your non-essential stuff.

Thank you! That’s the hard part. Good luck! 😀

16. You have some great ideas there, but with my bedroom it would take a bit more than a few days, maybe a couple weeks! Or more. You wouldn’t believe how much I have on my dresser, 80 insulators! Plus a cat bed. Which can’t be moved, unless I want a trip to the hospital! I do need to get some things done though, I have just too much stuff, hard to know where to start sometimes. Sigh. Looking forward to more though!
    Steve.

1. Michelle says:

Just start with a little at a time. Don’t let it overwhelm you. And do not move Mufffin’s bed! 🤣

1. Well, I am going to try anyway! I looked at my closet and said, I’ll start somewhere else!😅

17. Brilliant idea to use shower hooks for hanging bags etc. Thanks for sharing these ideas.

1. Michelle says:

Thank you so much! 🙂 I think that’s my favorite tip. Since I have 8 million bags. 🤣

18. Hi Michelle, I have been following you for quite some time, as I hope you know. But for some reason, every time your name pops up, it shows that I am not following you. So I click onto the follow button, and then the same thing happens again. I am following you, and I love all your ideas (and your scarf), but there seems to be a gremlin lurking about.

1. Michelle says:

I’ve had the same thing happen with other people, too! And it’s showing I’m not following some when I am. 🤔 I don’t know what’s going on. Thank you for telling me!

19. […] This month’s series is organization. Check out last week’s post on How to Have a Clutter-Free Bedroom Quickly. […]

20. Taking lots of notes from this blog post! I am so full of clutter right now (also because my house is under construction). I’m yearning for a deep spring clean! My bedroom is definitely the worst part of the house.

1. Michelle says:

I wish you all the best with your decluttering! It can be really hard when you’re working on your house, though. I’ve been there before. 🙂

21. I have just signed up and I’m on march! 😀
    Great post and inspiration Michelle! Loving it!

Thank you so much!! 🙂

22. Love these tips as I love spring cleanings!
    I have to admit, my bedside tables are full of things and also have pile of shoes in the wardrobe 🙈I’ll make sure to follow your tips, they make it so easy!

Thanks for sharing this 🙂

Thank you! Good luck on decluttering! 🙂

23. I liked your blog, Michelle and your style of writing, it’s neat, clean and precise.

1. Michelle says:

Thank you so much! Thank you for taking the time to read my post. 🙂

24. […] you are just seeing my blog for the first time, last week we discussed clutter and how overwhelming it can be. We talked about how to have a clutter-free […]

25. […] How to Have a Clutter-Free Bedroom Quickly […]

26. […] Clutter-Free BedroomClutter-Free BathroomClutter-Free Kitchen […]

27. […] take my unwanted clothing to the Goodwill store after I’ve had them for a while. After decluttering my bedroom this year and making a few clothing donations I started thinking, what actually happens to the […]

28. Excellent Tips!!

Thank you so much!

1. ❤️️❤️️

29. […] Find out how to declutter your bedroom quickly! […]

30. […] about you, but my closet has a way of overflowing after a while. Take some time to clean out and declutter all the clothes closets in your […]

31. […] Clutter-Free BedroomClutter-Free BathroomClutter-Free Kitchen […]

32. Thanks for these great tips! They’re so concise and clearly laid out you make it seem easy. I now have the motivation to clean out my bedroom this weekend.

1. Thank you so much! Happy cleaning! 😀

33. I agree with everything you said!

1. Thank you!!! 😊

34. Good idea for something constructive to do during the lockdown. 😉
    How true, that certain things end up in the bedroom. When my husband tells me to put something on his “desk,” I know that half the time he means I should put it on his dresser.
    (Love the closet!)

1. The bedroom always seems to be the place to “store” things. I always put something in there thinking I’ll put it away later and after a week it’s still there! haha! Thank you so much!

35. Hello, thank you for being on my blog, I like yours! You recently liked my article “The list of my passions”, I have the impression that it benefits from a special advertisement. I don’t know which one. Can you please educate me on this and tell me where you saw this article written long ago. Sincerely Nowo

1. Thank you! I honestly can’t remember how I got to that certain post, but it may have been from another blogger. I wish I could help more! Thank you for visiting my blog! 🙂

1. ok thanks

I love to hear from you!