Saturdays on the Porch
Welcome to the porch! Let’s chat, shall we?
This week hasn’t been the best for me. Now that we’re getting settled into the new home, I’ve been feeling a little down. I haven’t been able to get out of the house so I’m stuck inside 24/7, which isn’t good for someone with depression.
I miss my morning walks with my friend Amy, where we talked about everything under the sun and laughed over stupid stuff.
I miss being able to be at my mom’s house in 3 minutes whenever I just needed to talk.
I’m starting to feel somewhat isolated and lonely up here in the “city”. I’m sure I’ll start feeling better once I can find a good walking spot and be able to tour the city a little. Whenever that may be. My husband spends every weekend out so he knows the place better than I do. Meanwhile, I’m stuck at home cleaning up after everybody and making sure everybody has what they need.
My friend Bridget shared a post this week with links to her wonderfully written articles on praising God. As I read through these posts it just hit me that it’s exactly what I needed this week! She may not know it, but God led her to bring me some peace this week and I thank them both for that.
We’re still waiting to hear back from the contractors about when work can be started. “Hopefully soon” is the latest update. (Insert eye-rolling)
The weeds kicked my butt, so my husband bought some weed killer and sprayed them. Now they’re just sitting out there turning brown, looking like an even hotter mess.
My plans for this weekend are to start cleaning and preparing our other home so we can list it immediately. I also plan to visit with my mom for a few hours (even though she doesn’t know that yet!). She’s been nice enough to stop by the house and get my mail for me since our mailman just lets our mail fly all over the road and yard apparently.
What’s on the menu this week:
This week’s dessert: Chocolate Chip Cookies (my daughter made)
My favorite posts from around the web this week:
- Sometimes I enjoy watching the TV show Storage Wars. But sometimes it makes me sad to see that these people are buying other people’s treasured heirlooms and selling them for a profit just to make money for themselves. I always feel like some of that stuff was left behind because the owner was down on their luck. Well, this week I came across a story of a 16-year-old boy in Rhode Island who buys repossessed storage units and does whatever it takes to return the treasured items either to their owners or to family. How sweet is that!
- Some people deserve a second chance. A judge saw that in a drug dealer in this life-changing story.
- How fun would it be to visit this amazing library in China? I was a little disapointed to find out that most of the floor-to-ceiling shelves are actually painted to look like they’re full of books. (whomp-whomp) It still looks cool, though!
Deal of the week:
*Affiliate link. Learn more about what that means here.
This month is Plastic-Free July. I’ve seen a lot of amazing ways floating around on Pinterest about how to go plastic-free to help the environment. Grove Collaborative is helping us go plastic-free this month by giving away a free plastic-free set!
The free set includes:
- Grove Co. Glass Concentrate
- Grove Co. Reusable Spray Bottle
- Grove Co. All Purpose Concentrate
- Grove Co. Reusable Spray Bottle
- Grove Co. Cleaning Caddy
- Grove Co. Scrubber Sponges
- Free Shipping & VIP Trial
Photo of the Week
I came across this photo this week and thought it was a great reminder to praise God for what He has given us. And not let distractions ruin our lives.
This week on the blog:
In case you missed it, this week I shared a list of 65 places to get free food for your birthday. If you have a birthday coming up soon, be sure to check out the list and sign up to get free food!
Share with me what you’ve been up to this week!