30 Ways to Make Extra Money
Are you struggling to make ends meet? Have you ever considered making some extra money from home? Check out these 30 ways to make extra money and put your financial worries aside for good.
*Post contains affiliate links. It’s free for you to click the links, however, if you choose to make a purchase I will get compensated. To learn more click here. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Let’s face it – almost all of us have struggled to make ends meet at some point in our lives. When my husband and I first got married, we had almost no money. Not too long after I quit my job to stay home and take care of the kids, his company shut down, leaving him with no job. Somehow, we both made it without getting the house taken away and still had food on the table. (I have to thank God for that one!)
Have you been there? Are you there right now?
Have you thought about making extra money on the side from home?
Before diving right in, think about what skills you have to offer. What is it that you’re really good at? Consider your professional background as well. Do you have a degree or certification?
Read on to learn about ways to make extra money from home.
For frugal living ideas, click here.
30 Ways to Earn Extra Money
- Freelance Writer – As a freelance writer, you can work from home and make extra money offering your services to magazines, websites, or other blogs.
- Freelance Editor – Edit the work of magazines, freelance writers, online bloggers and more and get paid.
- Web Designer – New blogs and websites are starting up every day and lots of people will pay to have you set up their blogs or websites. If you know how to code and have an eye for graphics, this may be the side job for you.
- Virtual Assistant – If you know your way around social media, then consider becoming a virtual assistant. You can be a specific virtual assistant for a company such as a marketing virtual assistant or for work for realtor clients.
- Clean houses – Start your own business cleaning houses for others. Think busy moms, handicap individuals, or older people who can no longer clean their own homes. You could do a few days a week or just on weekends.
- Mow lawns – Offer to mow the lawns of your neighbors while you’re already mowing your own. Turn it into a part-time business as word spreads.
- Sell stuff – Declutter your home and have a yard sale. People love to shop second hand to save money so it’s a win-win!
- Home stager or organizer – If you are good at organizing and decorating, consider becoming a home stager for people who are selling their homes. This is one job I would personally love to do!
- Sell on Facebook Marketplace – Find some old furniture for cheap at thrift stores or online and flip it for a profit. Christina of Christina Faye Repurposed has some amazing tips on furniture flipping for beginners.
- Write a book – Are you a writer or an expert on a certain topic? Turn your how-to’s into a book, teaching others and making extra money at the same time. If you’re great in the kitchen (like Diane) consider putting together a cookbook. Or turn your stories and ideas into a great fiction novel (like Lisa).
- Uber driver – Drive local tourists around or be a designated driver for those in need. Make extra money during your down time and meet people in the process.
- Tax Preparer – Do you have a thing for numbers? Help others out during tax time by preparing and submitting their taxes for them. Make sure you’re up-to-date with the latest tax software.
- Personal fitness trainer – Do you have a background in fitness? Consider becoming a personal fitness trainer to teach and help others with a fitness program.
- Yoga Instructor – Offer yoga classes in your home or in another location and teach yoga for a fee.
- Childcare – Have some extra time? Offer childcare services in your home a few days a week and possibly over the summer months.
- Get paid to shop – Did you know that you can get paid to do normal everyday shopping? If you shop online, you can get paid to shop with Rakuten. Plus, you can earn a $10 bonus just for trying it out! (Also check out these cashback apps to make extra money while shopping.)
- Online Teacher – Offer to teach a few times a month online.
- Baker – I have a friend who bakes cakes at her home and sells them at yard sales and online. She actually makes quite a bit of money!
- Gardner – Grow your own food at home and sell your produce at farmers markets to make extra money.
- Make stuff – Are you crafty? Can you crochet or knit? Turn your hobby into a business. Look for vendor events to sell your handmade items or open your own online store.
- Photographer – Do you enjoy taking photos? Sell your photos online to stock photo sites or start your own business taking family photos or wedding photos.
- Pet sitter – People love their pets and want to keep them safe while they’re away. Offer pet sitting services and make extra money playing with cute puppies and kittens!
- Hairstylist – My mom used to get her hair cut and styled by a lady that only worked out of her home. She did an amazing job and made more money because she didn’t have to pay rent to a salon.
- Makeup Artist – Do you know everything there is about applying makeup? Offer your services to wedding parties!
- Party Planner – Are you good at organizing a party? Help others plan family parties or even weddings for a fee.
- Nail Artist – Set up your own nail salon right in your own home. Clients will feel more comfortable and make repeat visits.
- Youtuber – YouTubers are making a lot of money sharing videos of their skills or just family outings. For example, Bushra from Bushra’s Lifestyle started her own channel recently sharing inexpensive ways to decorate and organize your home.
- Construction & Renovation – If you’re great at DIY and home remodeling consider offering your services to help others. Go all out and flip houses for some extra money.
- Professional Organizer – Another amazing job I’d love to do for others. If you’re great at organizing, consider sharing your expert knowledge for a fee. Organize closets, pantries, or entire homes for others!
- Home Laundry Business – College students and factory workers are more than willing to pay someone to do their laundry for them. If you don’t mind doing a bunch of laundry, consider giving this a try for some extra money.
If you have multiple skills then your options for making extra money are limitless. You can start a baking business making cakes, pies, and pastries if you love to bake. Turn your hobbies into a small business by opening an online store or selling handmade items at vendor events. The sky’s the limit!
Do you make extra money on the side? If so, how? I’d love to know!
89 thoughts on “30 Ways to Make Extra Money”
Thank you so much!
Love this! Thank you for sharing : )
Thank you so much!!
If you need extra cash, these are all great ideas Michelle. Thank you. xo
Thank you so much!! 🙂
You’re absolutely right – a big chunk of us will definitely face financial lack at some point in our lives. Lord knows we have over here! Just like you said, without the faithfulness of God, there have been quite a few times where it would’ve been a total loss.
I absolutely LOVE this post, because so many people aren’t aware that they truly can use their natural talents and skills to make money outside of a traditional 9-5. Some people are afraid to try. Yet one of the blessings of these days where technology is available to us – the possibilities really are limitless! I think the lady you know is a perfect example. She enjoys baking and has a win-win, providing for herself and doing what she loves! How much better does it get than that?
Thanks for sharing such great tips with us Michelle. This will really help a lot of people I believe. Here’s to you using your God given gifts of creativity for much success now and in the future! ♥
Thank you so much! I think some people don’t realize they can use their own talents to make extra money. Or, as you said, they may be afraid to try. Fear holds us back from so many things. I agree that technology can be a blessing in this way. There are so many options out there now with technology.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!
Amen to that! Fear really does hold us back in life. I believe more often than not – the enemy attacks us where our greatest blessing will be. If we feel distracted away from something we really feel we should be doing or are struggling in a particular area, there’s a reason. I found pushing through those fears are the ones that produced the greatest blessing. I’m betting you can relate! 🙂
I sure am thankful you decided to use your talents and start this blog. You’re a wonderful blessing to us all and I thank God often for you & your friendship! ?
Great tips, Michelle! I’m intrigued by quite a few! I just checked out the author and her book looks interesting. Just might have to buy it to see what happens! Thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy her book. She’s writing a second part on her blog now and I just love it! Thank you for reading!
I like the fact that you have in your list YouTuber, Online Teacher, Home Stager, Tax Preparer and Baker. I don’t often see these in such lists. I checked your store by the way and what a lovely store! Love that grey mug holder 🙂
Thank you so much! I think some people forget that these are things you can actually make money doing. And it’s so much better to make money doing something you love. Thank you for checking out my store! I really appreciate your feedback! 🙂
Totally agree with you! Otherwise, there’s a good chance you end up resenting it and being miserable.
Very good tips! 🙂 I like #8 too!
Thank you so much! That’s my secret dream job. 😀
Awesome list, Michelle! Also, starting a blog is a great way to bring in income through affiliate sales, ads, and sponsored collaborations. I looooove the side hustle and reading your ideas. I hope you get the chance to be a professional organizer soon as you said you’d like to try it one day. It would feel great to help people de-stress by clearing clutter 🙂
Thank you! I agree that blogging is a great way to bring in income as well. I can’t believe I didn’t add it to my list! 🙂
I would love to be a professional organizer, too!
I think that would be so much fun!
Do you have any marketing tips on how one might get started being a professional organizer?
I haven’t had a chance to really look into it, but this interview with an organizer is helpful: https://crowdworknews.com/become-professional-organizer/. Our local library has some books about it so maybe check your library, too. The biggest tip I’ve seen is to do a few homes of family and friends for free to have the photos and experience to share.
Thank you! I will check that out.
Your tips are always so practical and actionable. I love that! I have sold a few things like you mentioned, and have found that to be so simple, too!
Great list! I’ve done some of these and yes, they did make me money. I like the Youtuber idea which I has made many successful and I think there’s a growing market for laundry. It’s a chore that is endless and most people don’t want to do. So the more the economy grows and the more expendable income there is, the more this will grow. Maybe one day, we’ll have the technology to have all our chores done by robots but until then, I think this could be a nice avenue to make some money. Thank you for sharing, Michelle!
Having a robot to do my laundry would be very nice! 😀 I agree that YouTube has become really popular lately and many people have been very successful with it. Thank you so much for reading!
Good ideas. And we all could use extra money. Thanks
Thank you so much! And yes, I agree! 🙂
Great list Michelle! Was just talking to a friend recently about how much dog-walkers make in my area. I’ve always thought about doing it on the side for extra money myself!
Thank you! You should give it a try! You get to play with cute animals and make extra money while helping someone else out. A win for everyone! 😀
I know, and I love dogs so much. But my luck is I’ll get a huge dog that will take *me* for a walk ?
Some great tips here Michelle. I’d really love to have a go at furniture flipping! It sounds like a really lucrative business xxx
Thank you!! We’ve flipped a desk and a dresser and they were so much fun! I can’t wait to have room to do more. 🙂
Very informative posting Michelle I certainly will look into some of these ideas. I really like the ideas especially Home Staging
Thank you so much! I would love to do home staging on the side. 🙂
That would be good and I know you would have nice pictures of it on your site when you do it.
Cool ideas ❤
Thank you so much!
These are some great tips, thanks for sharing!
Thank you so much!
I really enjoyed reading your post. Thanks for sharing those great ideas.
Thank you so much! I’m glad you found some helpful ideas.
When we were strapped for money my husband’s ex suggested Prolific to me. It is a page that suggests studies to you to take part in but they pay much better than the usual pages. You fill in your profile and they pay when you have earned 5£ or more. Often the studies are already closed so you need a little patience but if you have time to go on daily you should be able to make some extra cash. I managed about 20£ per month but didn’t spent too much time on it. This is the link https://www.prolific.co. Don’t be confused its also the page for Universities to find participants for studies. And I tjink they work worldwide so if you speak several languages you can take part in more studies ?♀️?
Thank you for sharing that! I’ve never heard of that site before. I’ll be sure to check it out.
You are very welcome. I haven’t been on there for some time but got back this week but it looks like the payments have dropped a little. Its still a great site ?♀️?
Great job highlighting so many creative money making ideas. These are such good ideas that can be used by almost anyone!
Thank you so much!
Sounds like interesting ideas, but check with your local zoning and state licensing laws. You may be fine doing babysitting for a couple kids, but to run a child care center, you need a license, have your home inspected and insurance. You may make a few dollars, but the fines for noncompliance can be steep.
Trying to make a buck making and selling crafts can result in hours spent for only a few dollars, far less than minimum wage.
My husband cuts my hair, my mom’s, my childrens’ and a couple of friends of mine. He had colored my best friend’s hair as well as mine. People had said he should start a side business, but he would need to get a license, insurance and meet health codes to do it. So before you decide you are going to try a side gig, do the research. Figure what the requirements to do it are, what are the upfront costs and if it is something you can continue to do and make money. Mowing your neighbors lawn even requires a commitment that you will continue to do it, not a once or twice thing.
Thank you for sharing. Definitely check to see what the laws are in your state first. They are a little more lenient where I live, so I honestly didn’t think about adding that to my post. Thank you so much for reading!
There are some good ways to make money from things you grow or raise. Currently the side gigs we are doing require no licenses to operate or government inspections. We are selling eggs from our chickens, but the net profit is only about $20 a week, and there is the labor of tending to the chickens and cleaning the coop. Hubby uses the nutrient rich, dirty straw in the garden for compost. And of course we get fresh organic eggs for our own consumption. We keep bees and there is potential to make a few thousand dollars a year from the honey and wax products sales. We are expanding from a few to about a dozen hives this year. We sold honey through friends, coworkers and Facebook. When we are yielding hundreds of pounds of honey, I plan to sell the honey through a couple local farm stands as a supplier.
We have fruit trees and berry bushes, and I have sold jams and honey at craft fairs, but that is time consuming and hubby calculated that our costs, time committed and net income from them was not cost effective.
Yes, selling your own produce is a good way to make a little money on the side, too. The chicken eggs is also a great idea. I love local honey and I’ve been told there are a lot of benefits from it. I always try to support local farmers whenever I can because I know all the hard work that is involved.
wonderful tips I’m hoping to use some of these, thank you Michelle 🙂
Thank you so much! I’m glad I could help! 🙂
Yes I´m struggling to make it, and actually I might not be able to pay the rent this month, have to go to the bank and see if I have money.
Anyways the point is that I did not realize there were more options to make end mean than to rob a bank.
I hope you can get the rent paid and not have to rob the bank. 😀
Thanks for these tips Michelle. I am trying to make my passion of photography work for me and I have recently discovered Shutterstock and Dreamstime.
I’m glad you found these helpful! I wish you all the best with your photography. You have such beautiful photos!
Thank you for this info. ?
You’re welcome! I’m glad you found it helpful! 😀
So many brilliant ideas here! Selling cakes, pet sitting and organising all sound like amazing ways to make money! Thanks for sharing these ideas Michelle, there are so many I hadn’t thought of and now I’m feeling inspired! <3 xx
Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com
Thank you so much! I’m so glad you found them helpful! 🙂
Hello Michelle, congratulations on your nomination for the Bee Love Award! Popping in to say hello. I loved your suggestions. Lovely to meet you. Have a great week. Smiles xx
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you have a wonderful day!
Great ideas! I wish it could be so easy regardless the country we live in ?
Thank you!! Yes, I guess it may be a tad easier here. 🙂
All great ideas, good list! Blogging is a great way too 🙂
Thank you so much! Great suggestion, too. I can’t believe I left that off my list. 😀
Great tips for the financial needs many of us are stuck in what to do next !!! Thank you for sharing Michelle !!! ?
Thank you so much! Not enough money seems to be the common problem everyone shares. I hope this helps someone! 🙂
If you have the time and talent, the crafting idea can seriously benefit you.
Thank you so much! I love the selling crafts idea, but it’s hard if you don’t have time. 🙁 It’s great to hear from you! 😀
My wife has thought about doing an interior design blog. But she has no time for anything…. no time is also why my Etsy store is still not up and running over a year later lol!!
I had to check in on you!
If she ever gets the time let me know. I’ll be sure to follow! I understand having no time. lol! Go set up that store! 😀
I’m glad you did! 🙂
I’m trying to talk her into it!
I need to!! I need to get back in the woods and get more stuff to sell. Got my work cut out for me…
I appreciate you Michelle!!
These are excellent ways to earn extra cash! I’ve thought about selling on FB marketplace.
Thank you! That’s a great idea! My mother-in-law has been cleaning a lot recently and has had really good luck selling on Poshmark. I never even thought of that until she mentioned it!
Home stager?! Yes, you’d be a pro Mich. ?
Aww thank you!! 🙂
Insightful. Thanks for sharing Michelle.
Thank you so much!
You are certainly welcome!
Awesome and thank you! We’re consolidating our debt so I needed this!
Thank you! I’m so glad you found it helpful! 🙂
Thank you for visiting my blog. These tips are quite useful at a time when supermarket prices are increasing.
Hope you keep well & enjoy your day.
You’re welcome! 🙂 Thank you! I can’t believe grocery prices are so high right now. With everyone needing food it should be opposite. I hope you have a great day!
You too ?