Baking Soda Benefits for Health and Household
Baking soda is not just for cooking! It also has a ton of benefits for both health and household. Read on to learn about the many baking soda benefits.
*Post contains affiliate links. It’s free for you to click the links, however, if you choose to make a purchase I will get compensated. To learn more click here. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Other than cooking, baking soda has many benefits. It can be used for cleaning, soothing itchy skin, and reducing odors.
Baking soda is also fairly inexpensive, therefore switching out some of your household products for baking soda will keep money in your pocket.
In today’s post, I’ll give you a list of a ton of baking soda benefits for health and household. Keep in mind, though that these are not all of the great benefits this product has to offer. There are still lots more!
Baking Soda Benefits for Health
- Treat heartburn: Baking soda neutralizes stomach acid, therefore it can be used as a remedy for heartburn. Dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of cold water and drink slowly.
- Mouthwash: Baking soda as a mouthwash can help freshen your breath and also provides antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Add a half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water and swish after brushing your teeth.
- Canker Sore relief: Canker sores are not contagious, but they can be painful. They’re small ulcers that can form inside your mouth. Baking soda can ease the pain of these small sores. Just rinse your mouth once a day with the mouthwash recipe until the canker sore goes away.
- Soothing bee stings: Making a paste of baking soda and water and patting it on a bee sting helps soothe the pain and itching.
- Relieve sunburn: Add baking soda to a warm bath to help relieve itchy sunburned skin.
- Curb sweet cravings: Baking soda can help you curb those sweet cravings during the day. Dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it. Don’t swallow the mixture, though; spit it out instead. Your craving for sweets should instantly go away!
Baking Soda Benefits for Household
- Reduce refrigerator odors: How many of you remember opening the refrigerator when you were younger and finding a box of baking soda tucked away on a shelf? Baking soda neutralizes odors because it interacts with the odor particles to remove them instead of just covering up the smell. Just place a box of baking soda in the back of the refrigerator, or put it in a cup if you don’t want to use the box.
- Air freshener: Not all air fresheners tell you their exact ingredients, which can be pretty scary if you’re sensitive to certain chemicals. Baking soda is a safe alternative and can easily be made into an air freshener to eliminate odors. Add 1/3 cup of baking soda to a small jar and mix with 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil. Cover the jar with a thin cloth and tie a string around the top of the jar to secure the cloth. Shake the jar when the scent starts to fade.
- Remove carpet stains: Combining baking soda and vinegar creates carbonic acid, which is a common ingredient in cleaning products. This creates a lot of fizzing, which helps break down tough carpet stains. To make this recipe, cover the stain with baking soda, then fill a spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water. Spray the mixture over the baking soda and wait until it dries; about an hour. Scrub the area with a brush, then vacuum.
- Carpet freshener: I have a dog who loves to roll around on my carpet and leave his scent behind. Little does he know that I really don’t like that scent. I use a homemade carpet freshener to eliminate that doggy odor. Fill a bowl with baking soda and mix with essential oils, then put in a shaker container. Sprinkle on your carpet, leave for about 10-15 minutes, then vacuum as usual. To see my homemade carpet freshener recipe, click here.
- Deodorize Shoes: Stinky shoes can be quite embarrassing and gross. Just pour two tablespoons of baking soda into two thin pieces of fabric, tie the top with a string, and place in each shoe. Don’t forget to remove the bags before putting your shoes one!
- Clean fresh fruits and veggies: Remove dirt, wax, and pesticides from fresh fruits and vegetables by washing them in a bowl of cool water mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Unclog a drain: Pour a cup of baking soda into the drain and follow with a cup of hot vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then pour boiling water down the drain. This is also great for freshening a stinky drain, too.
Baking soda has so many benefits and can be used for a lot of different things. It’s perfect for neutralizing odors as well as cleaning. Also, baking soda has a lot of health benefits, such as treating heartburn and soothing itchy skin from bug bites, bee stings, and sunburn.
The best part is that baking soda is fairly inexpensive and available at any grocery store.
So the next time your home has that not so fresh smell, grab a box of baking soda!
What is your favorite way to use baking soda?