Baking Soda Benefits for Health and Household
Baking soda is not just for cooking! It also has a ton of benefits for both health and household. Read on to learn about the many baking soda benefits.
*Post contains affiliate links. It’s free for you to click the links, however, if you choose to make a purchase I will get compensated. To learn more click here. Thank you for supporting my blog!
Other than cooking, baking soda has many benefits. It can be used for cleaning, soothing itchy skin, and reducing odors.
Baking soda is also fairly inexpensive, therefore switching out some of your household products for baking soda will keep money in your pocket.
In today’s post, I’ll give you a list of a ton of baking soda benefits for health and household. Keep in mind, though that these are not all of the great benefits this product has to offer. There are still lots more!
Baking Soda Benefits for Health
- Treat heartburn: Baking soda neutralizes stomach acid, therefore it can be used as a remedy for heartburn. Dissolve a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of cold water and drink slowly.
- Mouthwash: Baking soda as a mouthwash can help freshen your breath and also provides antibacterial and antimicrobial properties. Add a half a teaspoon of baking soda to a glass of warm water and swish after brushing your teeth.
- Canker Sore relief: Canker sores are not contagious, but they can be painful. They’re small ulcers that can form inside your mouth. Baking soda can ease the pain of these small sores. Just rinse your mouth once a day with the mouthwash recipe until the canker sore goes away.
- Soothing bee stings: Making a paste of baking soda and water and patting it on a bee sting helps soothe the pain and itching.
- Relieve sunburn: Add baking soda to a warm bath to help relieve itchy sunburned skin.
- Curb sweet cravings: Baking soda can help you curb those sweet cravings during the day. Dissolve one teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of warm water and rinse your mouth with it. Don’t swallow the mixture, though; spit it out instead. Your craving for sweets should instantly go away!
Baking Soda Benefits for Household
- Reduce refrigerator odors: How many of you remember opening the refrigerator when you were younger and finding a box of baking soda tucked away on a shelf? Baking soda neutralizes odors because it interacts with the odor particles to remove them instead of just covering up the smell. Just place a box of baking soda in the back of the refrigerator, or put it in a cup if you don’t want to use the box.
- Air freshener: Not all air fresheners tell you their exact ingredients, which can be pretty scary if you’re sensitive to certain chemicals. Baking soda is a safe alternative and can easily be made into an air freshener to eliminate odors. Add 1/3 cup of baking soda to a small jar and mix with 10-15 drops of your favorite essential oil. Cover the jar with a thin cloth and tie a string around the top of the jar to secure the cloth. Shake the jar when the scent starts to fade.
- Remove carpet stains: Combining baking soda and vinegar creates carbonic acid, which is a common ingredient in cleaning products. This creates a lot of fizzing, which helps break down tough carpet stains. To make this recipe, cover the stain with baking soda, then fill a spray bottle with equal parts vinegar and water. Spray the mixture over the baking soda and wait until it dries; about an hour. Scrub the area with a brush, then vacuum.
- Carpet freshener: I have a dog who loves to roll around on my carpet and leave his scent behind. Little does he know that I really don’t like that scent. I use a homemade carpet freshener to eliminate that doggy odor. Fill a bowl with baking soda and mix with essential oils, then put in a shaker container. Sprinkle on your carpet, leave for about 10-15 minutes, then vacuum as usual. To see my homemade carpet freshener recipe, click here.
- Deodorize Shoes: Stinky shoes can be quite embarrassing and gross. Just pour two tablespoons of baking soda into two thin pieces of fabric, tie the top with a string, and place in each shoe. Don’t forget to remove the bags before putting your shoes one!
- Clean fresh fruits and veggies: Remove dirt, wax, and pesticides from fresh fruits and vegetables by washing them in a bowl of cool water mixed with 2-3 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Unclog a drain: Pour a cup of baking soda into the drain and follow with a cup of hot vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then pour boiling water down the drain. This is also great for freshening a stinky drain, too.
Baking soda has so many benefits and can be used for a lot of different things. It’s perfect for neutralizing odors as well as cleaning. Also, baking soda has a lot of health benefits, such as treating heartburn and soothing itchy skin from bug bites, bee stings, and sunburn.
The best part is that baking soda is fairly inexpensive and available at any grocery store.
So the next time your home has that not so fresh smell, grab a box of baking soda!
What is your favorite way to use baking soda?
Read these next:
How using vinegar can help save you money!
Don’t throw away your old toothbrush until you read this!
10 things you didn’t know you could do with lemons.
89 thoughts on “Baking Soda Benefits for Health and Household”
These are the things that i love to learn about. Thank you for sharing.
Thank you for reading! I’m glad you found it interesting. 🙂
Looking forward to learning more 🙂
I thought I knew about most of the uses of baking Soda, but after reading this I realised I did not know quite a few of their uses. Thank you sharing this ?
You’re welcome. There’s still a lot more that I didn’t include. You can use baking soda for just about everything! 😀
Baking soda is so useful and although I use it for many things, you introduced me to two new ones! Have a great weekend!
That’s great! I’m glad I could help! Thank you! Wishing you a wonderful weekend, too!
I learn something new every time I visit, Michelle!! I knew some of these uses but not others!! Definitely trying the one on curbing sweet cravings! I need all the help I can get!! ?
I’m glad you learned something new! 🙂 I agree with you on curbing the cravings. I have to force myself not to open the kitchen cabinet with the chocolate sometimes. 😀
It is the best scent control you can use for deer hunting. Wash everything in it including yourself!
That’s a great idea! I bet it gets all that lovely smell out of everything. 😀
Nothing smells better than the woods ?
I have to agree with you there! 🙂
Thanks for sharing these baking soda tips Michelle! I learned some new ones here today.??
You’re welcome! I’m so glad you learned something new. Thank you for reading! 😀
Always a pleasure Michelle!??
Would be lost without it!
I agree! I always keep several boxes. 🙂
Loved your helpful hints. A hairdresser told me years ago if you use hairspray to make paste of baking soda and water. Apply it in shower to hair after washing it to cut hairspray residue, let stay on hair for few minutes after working in and then rinse thoroughly. Do not do everyday. I do this about every 2 weeks. Leaves hair feeling so soft and clean. Thank you for your helpful posts.
Thank you for sharing that! I had not heard that one before. 🙂
I always sprinkle it in my garbage disposal
Good idea! I sprinkle some in my trashcans so they don’t stink up the whole house. 🙂
Wow! Really? I didn’t know baking soda does some of the things listed. Curbs sweet craving? Good to know for when those craving kicks in.
Great post !
Baking soda is great for almost everything! This is just a short list. There are still tons more uses! 🙂 Thank you so much for reading!
These are awesome ideas! I had no idea you could use baking soda on sun burn! I wish I knew that years ago 🙂
Thank you! Me, too! I only learned about it recently, but I could have used it a lot in the past. 🙂
Thank you so much!! 🙂
I will have to save this! Thanks for the tips! And Happy Friday! ?
Thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it! Have a wonderful weekend! 🙂
Great tips! I also use baking soda to clean my stove.
Oops I mean oven.?
Thank you! It works really well for cleaning!
I never tried it for clogged or slow drains. Thanks for another great idea.
You’re very welcome! I think that’s one of my favorite uses for baking soda.
I learned a couple of new uses! Curbing sweet tooth and washing fruits. Visiting from your email list. Pinned!
I’m so glad you learned something new! Thank you so much for visiting and pinning! ?
Awesome tips. I’ve been using baking soda in my fridge for years now, it’s the perfect deodorizer, I didn’t know it cuts cravings for sweets, and a couple of other things you mention. Thanks so much, this is great.
Thank you! I’m glad you learned something new. ?
Oh I love posts like this because I pick up so many tips I didn’t know! Had no idea about baking soda relieving stomach acid or sunburned skin. I wonder if it changes the taste of the drinking water? Regardless, I may try that cause I have a sensitive tummy!
I don’t think it changes the taste of the water very much, maybe slightly. I hope it helps you! 🙂
I use baking soda for a lot of things. To clean and also make a moth wash. It’s essential in every home. Thanks for sharing
That’s great!! Thank you for sharing!
Useful tips!!! ?
Thank you so much!!
Very interesting and useful!
Thank you so much!!
Awesome post! Keep up the great work! 🙂
Other than deodorizing the frig and being used for toothpaste, I never knew baking soda had so many uses. Thanks Michelle!
It can be used for so many things! ? Thank you for reading!
So good to know!
Thank you so much!
YUP! Baking soda does work! I’ve tried it too?! Nice post though! Have a nice day michelle! Please FOLLOW me too!
Thank you so much for reading and following!! 🙂
It was my pleasure!?
I use a bit of baking soda with a touch of lemon to scrub my hands if they are a bit rough during the winter. Leaves them so smooth!
That’s a great idea! Thank you for sharing that tip. I’ve never tried that, but I will now. 🙂
Insightful post! Thanks for sharin Michelle. You can also baking soda to clean car battery terminals. Corroded connections may make it harder to start your car.
Thank you for that tip! I didn’t realize that! 🙂
I didn’t know about the veggie wash or sink declogging! Thank you!
I’m glad you learned something new! I love to use it for unclogging my sink. It works so well without all those harmful chemicals.
So many benefits from such a humble product. Thanks for sharing, Michelle.
Yes, I agree! And these aren’t even all of them. 😀 Thank you!
Hello friend! I nominated you for a Blogger Recognition Award!
I appreciate the hard work you put into your blog!
Thank you so much for the nomination and your kind words! I really appreciate that!
Well Deserved! You are quite welcome!
Hi Michelle, I hope you are doing great. I have nominated you for the Bee Love Award. I hope you will like and accept my nomination. Thank you kindly. The link for the award is. https://idealinspiration.blog/2020/01/27/bee-love-award/
Thank you so much!!
Yeeeees! Isn’t baking soda nearly a miracle cure for so many issues of life? ? Honestly though, when we can buy it for a couple of dollars and use it for so many different applications in our homes and lives – it’s the best!
I had no idea about the heartburn cure though. Wow. I might have to try this Michelle! In recent months I’ve developed some form of acid reflux causing hiccups and other odd happenings, assuming from severe stress. Not wanting to take antacids due to their risks, I was hoping for a natural fix. You might’ve just brought the solution 🙂
I chuckled reading about Leroy and how he leaves his oh-so-delicious doggy smells behind on your carpet. How could you not be a fan of this, Michelle?!? I do understand, wholeheartedly.
All my love to you this day and always. Another perfect post! 5/5⭐ ?
I agree! Baking soda is great for so many things so it’s best to stock up! 🙂 And with the price of it, everyone can actually afford to have more than one box. 😀
I know what you mean about not taking the antacids because you just never know anymore. I hope this helps if you give it a try! I have the same issue with the acid, so I completely understand wanting a natural fix.
I guess poor Leroy just can’t figure out why I vacuum so much! 😀
I hope you have a wonderful day! Thank you so much!! xoxox
I use baking soda in my refrigerator for odors. I also use it in my sink drain. I make a veggie wash spray with it. You can also clean the toilet with it. It is also inexpensive.
Those are all great ways to use baking soda! It is very inexpensive and so versatile. Thank you for sharing!
I didn’t know baking soda could reduce my cravings for sweets. Is there anything baking soda can’t do?
Baking soda is amazing! It has so many uses and it’s cheap. 😀
A combo of baking soda and vinegar mixed were the only ingredients that worked to get my showers looking nice, bright and white, and looking like new again!! Thanks for sharing other ideas for its uses!!
That’s amazing! Thank you for sharing that!
This is so informative Michelle! I never knew about the health benefits. I am definitely going to try it for heart burn next time.
Thank you so much! I was surprised at the many uses for baking soda and when I learned it helped for so many health reasons I was in! 🙂
Gosh I am learning so much both from your informative post and from the comments. I have heard about the marvels of baking soda but did not know how to use it. Will be bookmarking this post to try out some of these tips.
Thank you for sharing.
Thank you! I’m happy to share what I can to help others. I’m glad you stopped by! Thank you for reading!
You are welcome Michelle. ?
I love these…. you just don’t realise how great it is. I’m sure someone once told me as a kid it’s good to use when you burn your tongue, I used to take a teaspoon of it and stick my tongue in it….maybe I was meant to mix it in water. But it did work. Thank you for these great ideas.
I’ve never heard of that one before, but it makes sense. Thanks for sharing that with me!
Thank you for this great post on baking soda uses.
It is inexpensive and so versatile.
I forgot about it being a fruit and veggie wash. I’m so going to start doing that.
I’m back again to take a copy of these tips cos I’m about to do a very belated spring clean of my home over the next few weeks and remembered your excellent article but not exactly how to use the baking soda! Thanks once again for sharing! 🙂
Wonderful! It makes me happy to know that my tips are so helpful to someone. I appreciate your feedback! 🙂 Have fun cleaning! I love having a clean home because it makes me feel motivated to do other things.