Paint swirl ornaments are fun and easy to make and the results are beautiful! These ornaments are easy enough that kids can join in on the fun, too! Warning: they’re slightly addicting.
My daughter and I made paint swirl Christmas ornaments yesterday while the snow was slowly melting. We had a lot of fun making these. They are so simple to make, but do take a while because of the drying time.
I saw these clear ornaments while Black Friday shopping at a local craft store. There were only six ornaments in the package and after making these I wished I had bought more! They are slightly addicting.
What you need:
- A package of clear glass ornaments (like these here)
- Craft Paint – I used Apple Barrel craft paint from Walmart (here)
- Paper towels
- Plastic cups
What you do:
- Take the silver top off of the ornaments. (They pop right out.)
- Squeeze your paint colors into the top of the ornament. I used 2 colors in mine, but you can use more like my daughter did. (She made a rainbow!)
- Swirl the paint around until it is covering the entire inside of the ornament. You may need to add more paint.
- Turn the ornament upside down over the cup so that the paint can drip into the cup.
- Leave to dry overnight.
That’s it! Now run out and buy some ornaments and paint!!
Our paint swirl ornaments:
We played around with the amount of paint we poured into the ornaments and found that too much just covers the whole ornament and doesn’t leave much room for other colors. Too little paint poured in takes forever to drip around the sides. We started by adding a little paint and then a little more if needed before switching colors.
Have you ever made paint swirl ornaments before?
Looking for more Christmas DIY’s? Check out these great posts for inspiration:
Before you go, read these great tips on how to save money during the holidays:
20 Frugal Christmas Tips You Need to Know
Don’t let the holidays overwhelm you and cause stress. Read these tips on how to survive the holidays stress-free:
10 Ways to Survive the Holidays Stress-Free