These 35 frugal living tips will help you save money so you can stop living paycheck to paycheck.
*Post contains affiliate links. Click here for more on what that means.
Why does it sound so bad to call yourself a tightwad or cheap? Aren’t these words the same as frugal? I can honestly say I’m proud to call myself frugal. I’m happy that I don’t have to live paycheck to paycheck and can live comfortably.
Living a simple life can bring us contentment. Believe it or not we can be happy without a ton of money. Here are 35 frugal living tips that will help you live a comfortable frugal life.
Saving on Food and Groceries
- Plan your meals. Pack your lunch for work and eat out less. Learn how to meal plan and stick to your budget.
- Buy foods in bulk and freeze. You can also cook meals ahead of time and freeze them.
- Make a grocery budget and stick to it.
- Clip coupons and use rebate apps while grocery shopping to get cash back.
- Shop the sales flyers.
- Have meatless meal nights and eat more veggies.
- Join your favorite restaurant’s mailing list. If they have a rewards program sign up for it.
- Have a freezer meal exchange party. Gather friends, family, and neighbors and have them prepare and bring over a freezer meal. Exchange meals and recipes.
- Buy generic.
Save on House and Home
- Cut the cable. Try Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime if you prefer to binge watch and watch movies.
- Make your own cleaning supplies. Try a no-sew lavender sachet to freshen your closets and drawers.
- Cut up old t-shirts to use as rags.
- Get books at the library. (Find out how to get books free or cheap)
- Check the library for movies, too.
- Fix any leaky windows. Fix places that drafts are coming in to save money on electricity.
- Unplug unused appliances and devices. Even when not in use these still draw small amounts of electricity when plugged up.
- Switch to energy saving light bulbs or LED lights.
- Upcycle and reuse as much as possible.
- DIY as much as possible and learn to do your own repairs.
- Turn the heat down in the winter and bundle up.
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth.
- Hang your clothes out to dry instead of using the dryer.
- Stop using paper products.
- Make your coffee at home.
Save on Everything Else
- Skip the gym. Go for a walk around the park or ride your bike around town. For rainy days, I walk indoors with Leslie Sansone’s walking videos.
- Skip the movie theater. Have movie nights at home. Make pizza together as a family and spend the night in watching movies.
- Pay bills on time if possible to avoid the late fees.
- Plan staycations like a zoo or museum close by.
- Have no spend weekends.
- Do your own nails.
- Color your own hair.
- Make your own gifts.
- Buy used clothing.
What are some ways you live frugally?
Never miss a thing! Sign up to receive new posts right to your inbox!